At its May 7 meeting, the Holly Springs Town Council approved a planned unit development master plan for Carolina Springs, a 396-acre mixed-use development that includes commercial / retail, office, proposed sports and leisure amenities, and multifamily and single family housing near Interstate 540.
The project includes land dedication for a town park and fire station, tree preservation and open space, and greenway trail systems, as well as transportation improvements.
The council also approved modifications to the Lowe’s Home Improvement / Wegmans development plan, allowing for a greenway behind the development.
Also at the meeting:
- Morgan Wiley was appointed as an in-town regular member of the Holly Springs Board of Adjustment.
- The Town Parks & Recreation 12U Girls All-Star Basketball team was recognized for winning the State Wide Athletics Committee state championship.
- May 18 was proclaimed the 17th Annual Kids Appreciation Day in Holly Springs. The Kiwanis Club, in an effort to reward children for doing their best during the school year, organizes the annual Kids Appreciation Day celebration, which will be held May 18, 11 a.m.-3 p.m. at Sugg Farm Park.
- May 18 also was recognized as Kids to Parks Day. The nationally coordinated day connects children and families with local, state and national parks.
- May 14 was declared Apraxia Awareness Day in Holly Springs to increase awareness and understanding of childhood apraxia of speech. Childhood apraxia of speech causes children to have significant difficulty learning to speak and is among the most severe speech deficits in children.