Motorists should expect traffic delays Sunday, June 1 as nearly 3,000 bicyclists pass through Holly Springs during the second Ironman Raleigh competition.
The 70.3-mile swim, bike and run course begins at Jordan Lake and ends in downtown Raleigh.
Within Holly Springs, bike riders will:
• Enter town from the west on Avent Ferry Road
• Turn left onto N.C. 55 Bypass and head north• Turn right onto Old Smithfield Road and head southeast along Sunset Lake Road
• Turn left from Sunset Lake Road onto Optimist Farm Road to leave town
Race organizers expect the heaviest bicycle traffic to pass through Holly Springs between 9:30 and 11:30 a.m. However, the first riders could appear on Avent Ferry Road as soon as about 8:30 a.m., with the last ones heading out Optimist Farm Road as late as 1 p.m.
Officers expect these intersections to be the most affected:
• N.C. 55 and Avent Ferry Road• Sunset Lake Road and Holly Springs Road
• Sunset Lake Road and North Main Street