General Requirements

  • All residential zoning districts within the Town of Holly Springs planning jurisdiction allow for the placement of fences, decorative walls and retaining walls, subject to meeting the requirements of the Town’s Unified Development Ordinance. It is the property owner’s responsibility to adhere to and understand their neighborhood’s restrictive covenants. 
  • The Town does not require a permit for fences; however, the Town may require a permit for certain types of fences, decorative or retaining walls. 
  • For complete details see UDO Section 3.4.2 Residential Use Districts and Residential Uses in all Other Districts, H. Fences and Walls.


  • Front Yard: Four (4) feet
  • Perimeter Street Frontage of a Subdivision: Six (6) feet
  • Side and Rear Yards: Six (6) feet


  • The Town does not have setback requirements for fences when abutting another lot. It is a good idea to place the fence a safe distance inside of your property line so you do not place the fence on your neighbors' property accidentally.

Easements & Right-of-Way

  • Fences or other permanent structures cannot be placed on any right-of-way, utility easement (water, sanitary sewer, etc.) or greenway easement. 
  • Be cautious of underground utilities and easements from electric, gas, phone, cable, etc.

Before you begin construction, contact your local utility companies to mark the utilities on your property to avoid cutting lines. Or, contact One Call at 1 (800) 632-4949; they provide a free service of contacting all utility companies who will mark the utilities on your property.