- Public Works
- Yard Waste
- Place yard waste out for collection no more than 24 hours in advance of your collection day.
- Do not bag your yard waste.
- Keep different types of yard waste separate. Different trucks collect different types of yard waste. The vacuum truck that collects lighter yard waste can be damaged by sticks.
- Piles of yard waste should be placed at the edge of your front yard off the street pavement.
- Yard waste contaminated with non-organic rubbish will be left at the curb for disposal by the resident.
- Read the complete yard waste ordinance.
How to dispose of...
|Grass clippings||Place at edge of front yard, off street pavement. Do not bag.|
|Leaves, pine needles||Rake to the edge of your front yard, off the street pavement. Do not bag.|
|Small limbs, plant or hedge clippings||Cut to single stalks no more than 4 feet in length, no more than 6 inches in diameter, and tie with non-plastic biodegradable twine or rope in bundles weighing less than 50 pounds.|
|Dead plants/shrubs||Cut limbs from the root ball, and remove all dirt. Cut to single stalks no more than 4 feet in length. Tie with non-plastic biodegradable twine or rope in bundles weighing less than 50 pounds. Place at edge of front yard, off street pavement.|
|Dirt, root balls, mulch, concrete, rocks, construction debris, etc.||Not collected.|
|Large quantities of yard waste||This applies to loads exceeding 2½ cubic yards, about the size of load a pickup truck can carry, or exceeding 50 lbs. Click here for more information about collection of large quantities of yard waste and debris for an additional fee.|
|Debris cut by landscape or tree service contractors or commercial workmen||Not collected.|
|Christmas trees||Remove of all decorations and other objects, including tinsel and nails, before leaving the tree at the curb. The trees are chipped for mulch. Trees with objects on them must be left behind since they could damage the chipping machine.|
To dispose of yard waste yourself:
Different facilities within Wake County accept yard waste. Fees vary. Click here for more information.