Holly Springs Road Widening - East (Flint Point-Sunset)
The project involves improving Holly Springs Road to a consistent four-lane, median-divided road with sidewalk, curb and gutter, and pedestrian crossings from Flint Point Lane to Sunset Lake Road. The purposes of the project are to:
- increase road capacity ahead of the increase in traffic expected from the new 540 interchange
- replace the Middle Creek crossing with a new, four-lane bridge to alleviate historic flooding during heavy rainfall
- provide safe bike & pedestrian routes near Holly Springs schools
The Holly Springs Road Widening project is the largest Town roadway project ever and is among the transportation bond projects Holly Springs voters approved in November of 2018. More than $4 million dollars in federal funds have been secured to assist with project costs.
Open House Presentation - Watch the March 30, 2022 presentation at Holly Ridge Middle School.
The four main phases of road construction include:
- Construction of the Middle Creek Bridge (Through 2023)
- Widening the north side of Holly Springs Road (Winter 2022 through 2023)
- Widening the south side of Holly Springs Road (Winter 2023 through 2024)
- Roundabout construction and finalizing road construction (Late 2024 through mid-2025)
Mid-April 2022 through 2023: Middle Creek Bridge Construction
Construction activity is focused on the Middle Creek bridge area. Much of the construction will occur adjacent to the existing crossing, so lane closures and impacts on traffic will be minimized as much as possible. Once complete, traffic will be shifted onto the new bridge while work progresses in the area where the current crossing exists.
Construction Work Hours
Construction will progress with an emphasis on minimizing lane closures and impacts to traffic, especially during peak hours.
Typical work hours are:
- 7 a.m.-6 p.m., Monday to Friday
- 8 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturdays
Generally, no lane closures:
- On schooldays: Monday-Friday, 7-9 a.m. and 2-7 p.m.
- When schools are not in session: Monday-Friday 7-9 a.m. and 4-7 p.m.
Construction work or lane closures may be experienced outside these times upon special approval by the Town.
- Survey work, traffic study, hydraulics design, roadway alignment & virtual public meeting
- Bridge design, roundabout design, utilities design, signals design
- Construction bids opened, contractor selected.
NCDOT, Capital Area Metropolitan Organization, Duke Energy, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, N.C. Division of Environmental Quality
- This project joins an already funded project to widen Holly Springs Road from Main Street to Flint Point Lane.
- Also, the Town is seeking additional funding for a project to widen Holly Springs Road from N.C. 55 to Main Street.
- NCDOT is planning to widen Holly Springs Road from Sunset Lake Road to the future I-540 interchange at Kildaire Farm Road.