Fed by three creeks, this lake once powered a grist mill, and it has been a favorite spot for fishing, family picnics and baptisms for 150 years. In the late 1800s, Needham Norris had a grist mill at the lake. In 1892, John Mills bought the property and named the lake Mills Pond. The old grist mill collapsed during a May 1949 storm. Harry Cornell purchased the lake in the early 1950s and renamed it Bass Lake, reflecting his love of nature and wildlife. The dam burst in 1996 during Hurricane Fran, and the lake drained dry. In 1999 the Town of Holly Springs acquired the property and began an ambitious lake restoration project. Of the original lake, there are those who recall an old country store on its banks in the early 1900s when folks would relax on the porch with cold soft drinks from a cooler or pay 50 cents to fish. Bass Lake Park was completed and opened to the public in 2004. People once again can relax on the porch with cold soft drinks from a concession stand, or they can fish for free.