Norris-Holland-Hare House

For Sale: Preserve This Home's Legacy

  • Schedule a property showing: call (919) 567-4729
  • Square footage: 1,904sf
  • Lot size: 0.58 acres
  • Zoning: Residential

The two-story, two-century-old Norris Holland Hare house, Holly Springs’ oldest structure, is waiting for someone to purchase and restore it for generations to come. If you are interested - if you are someone who is passionate about history, who will care for this home, and who wishes, as the Town does, to preserve the home's extraordinary legacy - contact the Town at (919) 567-4729. We'd love to show you the home and discuss it with you.

Prospective buyers may bid for the house and two lots totaling 0.58 acres adjacent to the Mills at Avent Ferry subdivision and preserve the house by:

  • rehabilitating it as a single-family home,
  • using the home as a bed and breakfast, or
  • preparing the house for a live/work opportunity with a home office (one employee and one customer).

The high bidder prevails after clearing an additional 10 days for upset bids. Deliver signed bids to the Town Attorney’s Office at 128 S. Main St. or call (919) 567-4729 with questions.

Home Highlights

The Norris-Holland-Hare House is a Federal period house built around 1805 by Needham Norris, the son of Revolutionary War veteran John Norris, Jr. For two weeks in April 1865, an encampment of Union soldiers encircled the Holland home and occupied the first floor as a field hospital.

The original portion is hall and parlor style with an enclosed staircase and has had several additions to the rear. Much of the original fabric remains intact, including windows, moldings, mantles, heart pine floors, stairs, and wood-paneled walls. The brick chimneys are laid in Flemish bond with bricks said to have been kilned on the property. 

The home is nestled among century-old pecan trees. Family members who used to live in the home remember collecting and freezing pecans for the winter. 

The property may be eligible for local landmark designation after rehabilitation and will be subject to an historic preservation easement and rehabilitation agreement with Capital Area Preservation, Inc.

Details about the Home and its History

The original hall and parlor section of the house likely dates to the turn of the 19th century, said the Capital Area Preservation representative who inspected it. Subsequently, the house was expanded to two floors with two rooms each.

Ninety percent of the original portion remains intact, reported the preservation inspector, who added that the house “likely is one of the older buildings in all of Wake County.”

The original portion was built by Needham Norris, the son of Revolutionary War veteran John Norris Jr. Needham Norris bequeathed the house and farm to his nephew, Simpson Washington Holland.

In September 1864 as the Civil War ground toward its final months, Holland headed to Virginia to search for his brother, a Confederate soldier.  Left behind were Holland’s wife Mary Ann and their young children, including a week-old son. Simpson Holland died two months later without ever returning home.

For two weeks in April 1865, an encampment of Union soldiers encircled the Holland home. Mary Ann and her children lived upstairs while Union soldiers occupied the first floor as a field hospital.

The story of Mary Ann Holland and her young children featured prominently in the play “Finding Patience – The Story of Holly Springs.” The community production debuted in June 2017 at Holly Springs Cultural Center with multiple sold-out performances.

The town bought the house, saving it from demolition, in December 2017 with the expectation of selling it with preservation requirements.

In January, members of the Norris, Holland and Hare families reminisced over old photos during a walk-through of the house with town staff and others who advocated for saving it.

“Family members are very excited that the town did step in to preserve the house,” said Gina Clapp, director of Planning and Zoning. “They’re very excited to have the house sold as a single-family home so other generations can live in the house and have families.”

The Town is working with Capital Area Preservation on deed covenants that commit owners to preserving the structure’s character. Its history as a home and the high cost of adapting the structure for public use were reasons that preservation experts advised maintaining it as a private home.

To prevent deterioration while vacant, the Town sealed holes in the roof and removed cracked plumbing fixtures. Public Works crews also cleared away ivy and other overgrowth and debris to prepare the house for showing.